I was excited when Josephine and Mark asked me to document their lavender farm elopement. This would be my first time documenting an elopement. And they would be getting ready together in Port Perry, Ontario, which is my hometown.
A little bit about Port Perry. It’s a small town situated on Lake Scugog, an hour north-east of Toronto. And it looks like it’s straight out of a Hallmark movie. Actually, Hallmark movies have been made here. It’s quiet and quaint and I never thought I would move back here after living in the city. There are lots of great programs and activities for my toddler and we are walking distance to everything. I recommend a trip in the summer, if haven’t visited before. Here are a few places in Port Perry I highly recommend you check out (in no particular order).
Port Perry Recommendations:
- Queens Beans and Eco Port serves up delicious treats (including vegan and gluten free!) and coffee. The store is filled with eco friendly products for your entire home and family. Joni and I stop here often for a treat and any eco products we might need.
- The Dutch Girl Floral Co. Nikki is a great person and florist. I seriously love her. She has the most adorable dog named Ruby, who frequents her beautiful shop. If you’re stopping in to see her baby (Ruby), be sure to bring home a (plant) baby for yourself. She has lots to choose from!
- The Kids Cupboard is our go-to local spot for thrifting kids clothes and toys (they also have adult clothing). The shop is consignment and changes seasonally, so it’s easy to find what you need. The also have a huge selection of Melissa and Doug toys (we love the wood toys!).
- Meta4 Gallery Contemporary craft by Ontario artists, workshops, kids art classes and art supplies. What more could you want? I took a pottery workshop here when I was pregnant with Joni and am eager to return.
- Scugog Public Library I can’t be the only person that loves checking out libraries in other towns or cities, can I? If libraries are your thing, we have a good one!
- The Perfect Scoop Chocolate and hazelnut vegan gelato. Need I say more? If vegan treats aren’t your thing, they have regular gelato, as well.
- Marwan’s Global Bistro I’m thankful we have a restaurant that offers a few delicious vegan/gluten free options (bless their hearts). There’s lots more on the menu (and The Port Social, attached next door).
There is also a beautiful park and walking path by the water, a kids playground/splash pad (if that’s your thing), a Saturday market in the summer, a few antique shops, lots of restaurants, and much more. I sound like my mother right now… I’m selling Port Perry. Back to Josephine and Mark’s lavender farm elopement.
I met Josephine and Mark at The Piano Inn. They shared a quiet morning together drinking coffee and taking their time getting dressed. The skies were dark and by the time we arrived at Christel Lake Lavender, it was pouring rain. Josephine and Mark didn’t let the weather bother them and they had a beautiful ceremony in the rain, overlooking the farm. The skies cleared after their ceremony and we were able to take advantage of the grounds, with Gert driving us around in his golf cart. Check out my favourite images below!
Planning an elopement or want to talk more about Port Perry? Contact me here.